Saturday, October 10, 2009

Al-Fatihah - Prof. Dr. Kamarudin Mat Salleh



Today is a sad day for many of us especially staff and students of Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia who had known personally or professionally, Prof. Dr. Kamarudin Mat Salleh or fondly remembered as Pak Din. At 6.50pm he peacefully passed away after battling cancer for many months. I managed to visit him several days before at the hospital but unable to be at his house today because I got another engagement.

Pak Din was one of the prominent researcher on the largest flower in the world, Rafflesia. And he was actually my first boss when he was in charge of the Herbarium in the UKM in 1998. I just graduated from Lancaster University at that time and still waiting whether my application to become a tutor in the UKM has been approved or not. So I decided to fill in the time by working as a Research Assistant under his guidance and together we updated the filing system of the Herbarium. He was also a close friend of my parents and we have known his wife and his six children since we were little. He was 50 years old. May Allah put you among the righteous and make everything easy for the life in hereafter.

No comments: