Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fundraising Dinner

Jo and I were invited by Asfa and Addin to join them for the fund raising dinner organised by Al-Khaadem, a charity organisation. The event was held at the Sime Darby Convention Centre, Mont Kiara and was also attended by Tun Dr. Mahathir and his wife. They invited Captain James Yusuf Yee, a former US Army Muslim chaplain, to talk about his experience in Guantanamo Bay camp and the story behind his arrest by the US government. I first heard about him when I was in Lancaster but was unable to attend his talk at that time. I sympathised with him when he talks how he was badly treated simply because he behaved (performs prayer etc) like the Muslim detainees held in that prison. He wrote a book on his experience titled 'For God and Country' but unfortunately he brought only 10 copies with him which was quickly sold out. Overall it was a nice experience and I hope there will be more fund raising dinner like this for us to attend.

No comments: