Wednesday, March 07, 2007

ICAS Research Development Programme

I was away for two days since last Monday attending an ICAS Research Development Programme in Edinburgh. It was a very good programme especially for the new PhD students like me since we have the opportunity to present our research proposals and have it discussed with a prominent professor in accounting. I managed to have a discussion with Professor Stuart Turley from Manchester Business School and as luck would have it, Professor Ken Peasnell offered me a ride home with him.

The journey back home took us about 4 hours including a break in service area. I didn't realised that Prof. Ken is such a very nice travel companion since we never had a dull moment throughout the journey. He told me stories on British Empire campaigns in Africa and Middle East and even some peculiarities of British people. And I managed to engage him to listen more carefully on my research proposal which he think has a lots of potential depending on the way I approach it.

So overall, I truly enjoyed the programme and I'm hoping that more new PhD students will take this opportunity to improve on their research effort.

*ICAS is The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland, the world's first professional body of accountants (est. 1854).

No comments: