Friday, March 09, 2007

Backgammon

I have been smiling since yesterday. And the reason is... I won my first ever backgammon match with Kevin, my ex-officemate. Considering the fact that I've just learned how to play this game (from Kevin nevertheless) about two weeks ago, and Kevin used to play regularly in real tournaments, it was indeed a sweet victory.

We played a 9 point match. I was leading 2-1 when I offered a double cube to him. After several turns he offered to double it again. I couldn't resist the temptation and accepted the double. And with a stroke of luck (I managed to get a crucial double sixes) I won that game and was leading 6-1. He managed to win the next game and gammoned me on the next game with a double cube on board, so the score was tied at 6-6. I won the next game and the score stands at 7-6. When we play the subsequent game, he offered a double cube to me. This is my chance, I think, to win the match but it is not without a risk. I took the risk and the game continues. As luck would have it, I managed to put his pieces on the bar whilst succeeding in getting a six to steer my own piece away from his area. And the final score is 9-6.

:)

No comments: