Saturday, March 10, 2007

Freewill

I went to my weekly Friday prayer yesterday at the University Mosque which is currently located in a portakabin. I remembered during my undergraduate time when we had to have a Firday prayer in a lecture theatre, then we have been allocated a former bar to be converted into a mosque. When I came here for my Master, the building in which the mosque is situated is about to be demolished and we had to move out to a temporary social room located near Graduate Bar. Currently we will be in a portakabin until the University built up a new permanent mosque near the Chaplaincy Centre.

Anyway, when I got in the mosque, I noticed an old British lady was sitting politely reading a pamphlet about Islam whilst waiting for the sermon to begun. For the past few weeks now, people from various background and religion have been attending our Friday sermon and they will be observing quietly at the back before joining us for the conversation after the prayer. I found it quite refreshing considering that the Muslim population in the University consisted from various sects and the fact that we managed to hold our prayers and activities together seems to give a positive reflection among the locals, I presume.

On a different note, I just found out through my friend's e-mail that I have been appointed as a Sport Committee Member for Kelab UMNO Lancaster Morecambe. Last time when they held an annual general meeting, I was outside the meeting when my wife told me that they have been nominating me for a President position. I had to intrude into their meeting to decline politely the nomination. I guess they must have realised that in no way I would be able to 'intrude' if the appointment is by an e-mail.

And I am not even a member of KULM.

No comments: