Friday, November 26, 2010

Managerial Planning and Budgetory Control Course at Pangkalan TLDM, Lumut


When I was away celebrating Hari Raya Aidil Adha back in my hometown in Kelantan, I received a call from Rahim asking me to conduct a course for the TLDM officers in Lumut, Perak. I agreed because I think this will be a new experience for me and I could learn something from this exercise. So I went north on the 23rd November bringing with me all the materials needed for the course such as participants files, backpacks, course notes, attendance list, LCD projector and even their course certificates. The next morning I went to the lecture hall at KD Duyong and was greeted by the participants. Most of them hold the position of Lieutenant and some of them are in higher rank of Lieutenant Commander. Few of them are familiar with the term budgetory control. So I decided to do something different with the participants.

The first day was spent describing what managerial planning is all about and the importance of budgeting. The second day started differently where I gave them two case studies for them to read and discuss among themselves in the groups. Afterwards they have to present their overall impression and suggest ways to overcome the problems identified in these case studies. I was quite impressed on how they tackle this kind of exercise because usually we conducted this kind of case study session on the Masters and PhD students. And we have just started to introduce this case study course on undergraduate students beginning next semester.

I continued the third day of course with a two-page case study and by noon we managed to wrap up everything with open discussion. When I asked each and every one of them, they said they have learn something new about the managerial planning and budget. I have also learn something new about TLDM and am glad that I took this opportunity to conduct this course.

No comments: