Monday, May 11, 2009

Liverpool vs Manchester Friendly Badminton Tournament



Liverpool team

Liverpool and Manchester teams

Today the Manchester badminton team arrived in our local Kensington Sports Centre for the annual badminton friendly tournament. There are 4 men doubles and 1 mixed double for each team and each double will play 5 times. After 4 hours and 55 sets later, Manchester was declared a winner with 1069 points against 798 points for Liverpool. That means on average Manchester team scored 19.4 points per set and Liverpool scored 14.5 points per set. Myself and Sham, my partner, won all our 5 matches in straight sets except when we played against the mixed double. But all their doubles were quite tough and there were several instances where we won quite narrowly.

Huzaini from Lancaster also joined to strenghten our Liverpool team. After the tournament I partnered him to play against the Manchester finalist whom we were supposed to meet in the previous Liverpool Games. At that time we were unable to complete the final match due to time constraint.

We lost our first set 16-21 but managed to win the second set 21-15. However, on the third set, I was beginning to tire, after all it's my 14th set, and I just could not move my legs freely as I want to and the Manchester double started to attack me continuously. We lost easily in the rubber set 11-21. It was a good match but perhaps next time we should do the rematch in the early part of the tournament and not the end like today.

No comments: